Monday, September 20, 2010

You too?

Here's how it played out.

We were watching tv and an ad came on for the U2 Sydney concert. My partner said 'Oh, I've tickets to that. You didn't want to come, did you?'

Ahem.

No, probably not.

The truth is I couldn't be bothered. I could go, but I would have to organise a babysitter, I'd have to get to the venue and back again, and I'd be amongst thousands of people who I don't really want to mill about with, and it would be LOUD, and, I'd probably be tired, and, you see, I just couldn't be bothered.

I never play their music at home, and I hear them enough, probably too much, on the radio.

Last year when every Australian female between fourteen and fifty went to the Pink concert I went online to buy tickets and during the transaction backed out thinking, I really couldn't be bothered.

I've been to good gigs. I've seen Michael Jackson and Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Bob Dylan, Sinead O'Connor and Sufjin Stevens, The Damned and Iggy Pop, David Bowie and lots of Australian indie acts.

I've been to concerts. I'd probably make an effort to see Bjork, or kd lang or a few other performers. When The Festival of Sydney acts are announced each year I look up the artists on you tube and buy the cds of performers I like, but I don't go to the gigs. Mostly now I'm quite happy to stay home.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I only regret 2 concerts - missed a Bowie one when I was 1 day post-partum with Em!!! the beginning of parental sacrifice - and didn't go to the amazing Leonard Cohen and friends show - but have the DVD of that one so at least I saw it in comfort. Oh, and I wish I'd bought tickets for the Rufus Wainwright show. And taken Liz to see Taylor Swift. Strangely, I'm liking Casey Chambers atm - she has new album out - but wouldn't be bothered to go see her live. It's the getting to and from and the babysitting for me too.